Saturday, September 8, 2012

How We See Ourselves


I think all females hope for a flatter stomach, skinny legs, beautiful smile, and sparkling eyes. I know for me I wish I had the sparkling eyes. I have noticed over the years and since writing my novel that I take my appearance as a measure of my confidence. When I drop a dish on the floor because of not realizing it was placed on the counter to the right of me. My thoughts turn to how horrible I am for not seeing it before it hit the floor. It breaks my confidence and waxes my thoughts of ever feeling normal. At first I tell myself how clumsy I am, then while I sweep or pick up the pieces I wonder how I could of avoided from it hitting the floor.
 
I have lost count of how many things I have swept or accidentally brushed off the counter, but items I can remember are a microwave oven plate, a pitcher for the blender (my mother-laws), four bowls, three plates and a large pizza that I had just baked. My son wasn't happy when I told him pizza wouldn't be on the menu for dinner.

Being blind in one eye has hindered me in many ways, but at the same time has strengthen me to see how valuable vision is. This journey with limited vision has helped me to go the extra mile and learn different ways to function as a mother.

Not a day goes by when I'm cooking for my family that I don't think twice before I put something on the counter to the right of me.

Even though I have had to pick up lots of broken pieces over the years I have continually told myself I'm not broken.
 
Remember you are valuable. No flaws should ever pull you down and destroy the person you are meant to be...We are shining stars.

1 comment:

  1. Pam, you are not only a shining star, you are beautiful and you are inspirational. NEVER berate yourself for accidents. EVERYONE has them, even people with both eyes working. EVERYONE has a disability (or two or three or...) and you are an awesome example of how to rise above our disabilities.

    ReplyDelete